Sunday 15 February 2009

Devastated

Today an old friend of Geraldines phoned her up,a friend who she has not spoken to for a couple of months.
The subject got on to her bad leg and then mention was made of my arthritis.
It was said by Geraldine that the HRT,which will be prescribed,would also be good for me because of "his transsexual problem".During the same conversation I was referred to as Peter and Him.
Now Geraldine has to my face been entirely supportive but when her guard was down all the old stereotypes reared their ugly head.
I felt absolutely gutted.
I now feel happier with people who have only ever known me as Julia,at least they treat me as a person in my own right.
I am a carer and always will be so will never leave but am now starting to think if there is any future in being myself.

1 comment:

* said...

I hope I'm not going to upset my friend but I think (hope) can see why Geraldine did this. If she hadn't heard from her friend for a long time she could be setting the stage to tell her friend gently. Some people need to have such a big thing shoe-horned into their life slowly - the tactic I am employing for work. If this is the case perhaps Geraldine is therefore just trying to be kind to all concerned. If she was embarrassed by you then you wouldn't be able to tolerate you even at home.
Try to think kindly of her Jules, she just might have tried to be considerate to her friend....even if it was a little clumsy.